Here you have all the methods to know the password of a Wi-Fi network from the mobile and the computer, regardless of the operating system you use.
Wi-Fi networks are perfect for connecting to the Internet without cables. Naturally, they require certain security to prevent anyone from connecting to them. The most common way to allow access to a Wi-Fi network is the password. But, What can you do if you don’t remember the password you used to connect? It is possible to use any of the devices that you have previously used to connect to it.
In this article we explain all the methods you have at your disposal to discover the password of memorized Wi-Fi networks from any device. We explain the steps you must take depending on the operating system you use on your computer, phone or tablet. This is a complete guide that teaches you how to know wifi password from PC or mobile.
How to see the wifi password in Windows 11
Do you want to know how to see the Wi-Fi password in Windows 11? Following the instructions that we show you below you can do it without too many complications.
- Right click on the Wi-Fi icon that you will see in the system tray. It is located in the right area of the taskbar. From the context menu, select Network and Internet settings.
- In the settings panel, click Advanced network settings.
- You will be redirected to the Control Panel. under the section Network connectionsopen the contextual menu of wifi adapter.
- Immediately, a pop-up window will open with all the network data. Click on Wireless Properties.
- Again, another dialog will appear. Select the tab Security and tap on show characters.
- You may need to enter the administrator account password, if your account does not have sufficient privileges.
- Copy or write down the password somewhere else.
How to see the wifi password in macOS
The steps to see the key of a wifi network in macOS are the following:
- Open Spotlight to start a new search and type Keychain Access.
- Click on the section System that you will see located on the upper left side of the window. In the zone Categories choose passwords.
- In the list, double click on the name of the Wi-Fi network for which you want to find out the password. When the popup opens, check the box Show password.
- Remember that it is necessary to enter the password of your macOS user.
How to see the wifi password in Linux
Taking Ubuntu as a reference, we explain how to discover the password of a wifi network on Linux. As usual, there are two ways to do it. One is to use the terminal and the other to take advantage of tools with a graphical interface. If you opt for the first, these are the steps:
- Access the terminal with the keyboard shortcut Control + Alt + T.
- run the command ls /etc/NetworkManager/system-connections/. Within this directory the configuration files of each Wi-Fi network are stored. Try to locate the file that includes the name of your Wi-Fi network and copy it into a separate text document.
- with the command sudo cat /etc/NetworkManager/system-connections/WIFI NETWORK NAME open the file and view its content.
- See the PSK section to see the network password.
On the other hand, if you want to follow these steps with the graphical system tools, do this:
- Open the Wi-Fi settings from the settings panel or by clicking on the icon that you will see in the upper right area of the screen.
- Place the cursor on the Wi-Fi network for which you want to know the password. So, click on the gear icon.
- under the tab Securitycheck the box Show password.
Keep in mind that these steps may vary depending on the distribution you have installed and the desktop environment you use.
How to see the wifi password on Android
If you have a Android Q device or higher, knowing the password of a Wi-Fi network is very simple.
- Open the Wi-Fi settings section in the configuration panel.
- Enter the section saved networks.
- Click on a Wi-Fi network to see more details.
- Tap on the QR code icon that you will see on the statement Share.
- Enter the unlock code of your mobile phone.
- A QR code will appear on the screen that another user can scan to connect to the Wi-Fi network. Additionally, in the lower area, the password is shown in text so that you have the possibility to write it down on paper or in a note.
How to see the wifi password on an iPhone or iPad
The iPhone or iPad does not allow you to know the password of a Wi-Fi network. However, there is a little trick that will allow you to view them if you have a Mac. You must do this:
- Enter the iPhone or iPad settings and click on the avatar of your Apple account that you will see at the top.
- Enter the section iCloud to view all settings related to data synchronization.
- tap on Keychains.
- Activate the option Keychains in iCloud.
After you do this, all your passwords, including Wi-Fi passwords, will be synced to iCloud. It’s time to enable this feature on macOS. You do it like this:
- I went into System preferences.
- Access the section Apple ID.
- Activate the Key chain to sync iCloud passwords to your Mac.
Then, follow the steps mentioned in the section How to see the wifi password in macOS of this same article.
Related topics: Security