The Android vs iOS battle is as old as time itself – or, at the very least, as old as these operating systems. While Android users and iPhone users have their reasons for not making the leap to rival platforms, the biggest hurdle was the inability to transfer WhatsApp chat history.
Now this is old news, thanks to a new feature officially released by WhatsApp.
Gone are the days when Android users had to go through an eye-catching number of online forums brimming with technical jargon to transfer their WhatsApp chat history to an iPhone, basically turning them off the whole idea.
Now, all one has to do is download the ‘Move to iOS’ app from the Google Play Store, a smartphone running Android Lollipop (or Android 5) and an iPhone running iOS 15.5 (latest version).
As per the official notes of WhatsApp, download the app on your Android phone and make sure that the iPhone you are switching to has the correct version of iOS.
1. Make sure that WhatsApp iOS version 22.214.171.124 or above is installed on the iPhone.
2. Make sure that WhatsApp Android version 126.96.36.199 or above is installed on your current device.
3. Make sure that the same phone number is used in both handsets.
4. The iPhone must be new or factory reset to be able to pair with the ‘Move to iOS’ app and transfer data to and from the Android device.
5. At the time of transfer, both smartphones need to be connected to a power source and same Wi-Fi network
break the process for me
1. Open the ‘Move to iOS app’ on your Android smartphone and follow the on-screen instructions.
2. Your iPhone will display a code. Input the code on your Android phone.
3. Press Continue and follow the on-screen prompts.
4. Select ‘WhatsApp’ on the ‘Transfer Data’ screen.
5. Then, tap on ‘Start’ on your Android phone. WhatsApp will prepare the data for export.
6. Once the data is ready, you will be signed out of your Android phone.
7. Tap ‘Next’ to return to the ‘Move to iOS’ app.
8. Tap ‘Continue’ to transfer data from your Android phone to your iPhone.
9. Make sure you are waiting for ‘Move to iOS’ to confirm the transfer is complete.
10. Install the latest version of WhatsApp on your iPhone.
1 1 Open WhatsApp and log in using the same phone number.
12. Tap ‘Start’ and allow the process to complete.
12. Finish activating your new device and you should see all your WhatsApp chats.
Your old WhatsApp data will be available on Android phone until you delete it or wipe your phone. The data on the new iPhone will be backed up only after you have turned on iCloud backup on the iPhone. This method only applies to individual/group chat history. WhatsApp payment history and call history cannot be transferred.