Microsoft did not mislead the European Union about the exclusivity of Bethesda games


The Federal Trade Commission has filed an antitrust lawsuit over the Activision Blizzard takeover deal, centered around the issue of Call of Duty exclusivity. In a statement, US officials indicated that the company had already lied to regulators in the past – the Xbox manufacturer allegedly assured the European Commission that Bethesda’s productions would be available on all devices.

The truth, however, looks quite different, because it turns out that The Europeans did not expect such assurances. The European Commission reacted to the FTC statement by emphasizing that the Redmond giant was not forced to make any concessions as the transaction did not raise concerns:

The Commission unconditionally approved the Microsoft/ZeniMax transaction as it concluded that the transaction did not raise competition concerns. Microsoft has not presented any commitments to the Commission, says the European Commission (for Seeking Alpha).

In the process of the earlier takeover, Microsoft did not offer any concessions, and officials did not require them:

“The conclusion that there are no competition concerns was not based on any statements from Microsoft regarding the future distribution strategy of ZeniMax games.”

When taking over Bethesda, Microsoft emphasized in its official statements that the exclusivity of subsequent games will be considered individually – although some productions may still debut on all devices, some titles will only be available on Xbox and PC. The producer basically did not hide that he took over teams responsible for series such as Fallout to provide exclusive content for Game Pass.

Why is the FTC based on false arguments? It seems quite likely that any of the submissions submitted contained a misstatement and officials failed to check it. Regulators from the European Union, however, reacted by pointing out that the indicated case never took place.



Related News

Pixel Watch: Google confirms the design, launch and first details of its first smart watch

This year's edition of Google I/O 2022 it has been the company's showcase to announce a large number of devices that will go on sale in a couple of months

The solar-powered Model 3 circumnavigates Australia

The advent of electric mobility is teaching us to think about cars, and in general about means of transport, in a different way than in the last century and

Here’s how the Google Pixel 6A compares to its biggest competitors

The Pixel 6A is the latest phone to join the competitive upper tier of midrange phones, which is occupied by Samsung, Apple and others. Google announced the

Jack Dorsey says he will never be CEO of Twitter again

Jack Dorsey is trying to quash rumors that he will be reinstated as Twitter CEO after Elon Musk takes over. On Wednesday, he tweeted, "No, I'll never be CEO

All the biggest announcements of Google I/O 2022

Google announced what felt like a million things in a two-hour keynote to kick off its annual I/O developer conference. Instead of dancing around it, let's

There’s no need for electricity without fossil fuels – OpEd

The United States is moving rapidly toward achieving President Biden's stated goal that "we're going to get rid of fossil fuels, To achieve the Green New Deal